Wednesday, February 21, 2018

RIDING AWAY FROM THE STORM.

Day 164 – I woke up at 2 a.m. The awning over the bedroom slide was banging and it felt like we were on a boat, the RV was rocking. The winds had returned.  I got up & checked on everything, then put in the ear plugs and went back to sleep. We were up by 7 a.m. and it was 33 degrees (not the 20’s they’d predicted), windy, cloudy.  An hour and a half later, we were getting ready to bundle up in warm gear and go out to the Petroglyph Site when we saw a dense layer of what looked like fog approaching us. It was a mixture of snow and rain – sleet.  Right now we’re deciding whether to just pack up and head southeast to Roswell today, or stay and wait for the weather to do its thing. We can always come back here again to do the lava hike and the petroglyphs. Okay, decision made – we’re outta here.

112 miles

Continue reading

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 163 – The wind was so loud last night that we both wore ear plugs so we could sleep. Windy all night, at times shaking the RV, but probably not as bad as yesterday. Once we got up, the wind began increasing again and the forecast is for the same sustained wind levels & gusts today until the evening. No one is leaving their RVs nor the campground, including us. It was 41 degrees around 7:30 a.m. A cold front is moving in tonight & the temperatures are supposed to drop into the 20’s. The big difference this morning is that most of the heavy clouds have blown over and the sun is shining brightly. But right now as I write this (in the morning), the RV is shaking and rocking from the wind gusts.

Continue reading

Monday, February 19, 2018

RIDERS ON THE STORM.

Day 162 – Beginning of Week 24. By the time we went to bed last night, we’d pretty much decided to get up early this morning and head southeast ASAP to beat the wind. We got up at 5 a.m. and Rob checked the forecast first thing. The weather had changed to a Winter Weather Watch with 4 to 8 inches of snow at 7,000 feet elevation and up to 16 inches of snow at 9,000 feet and above. (We were at 5,000 to 6,000 feet already, surrounded by mountains from 6,500 to 8,500 feet.) The storm was coming from the northwest, and wind predictions had increased to sustained wind above 30 MPH with 40-60 MPH gusts beginning around noon & lasting through the night.

63 miles

Continue reading